Electrical Engineering Technical Lead
Synapse Product Development utilizes the talents of an engaged, energetic, and excellence-focused team of engineers—bolstered by talented administrative and operational professionals—to collaborate on creative and innovative product development solutions for the world’s leading companies. Synapsters embrace the opportunity to work on a variety of challenging projects, find fun in solving hard problems with talented coworkers, and understand the value of cross-discipline collaboration to provide stellar client service. Synapse supports an environment of openness and trust where employees work hard to get the job done and still have time to maintain meaningful lives.
About Synapse’s Seattle Office
Synapse’s headquarters in the heart of downtown Seattle maintains many of the hallmarks of the company’s start-up roots. The dog-friendly, open office environment buzzes with activity, and employees are just as likely to solve problems over the ping-pong table as at the whiteboard. With over one hundred employees at this work site, Seattle Synapsters maintain the traditions of Wednesday Lunch, a weekly catered meal when the entire office comes together to celebrate successes and navigate shared challenges; Social:30, where Synapsters are welcome to unwind every other Friday afternoon; and a variety of social events in which family and friends are invited to join in on the fun.
As an EE Technical Lead, you will lead a small team of electrical engineers working on a project. You will work with the project manager and other discipline Technical Leads to plan and prioritize work, and you will communicate directly with clients.
As an electrical engineer at Synapse, you can expect to make valuable contributions within a multidisciplinary team to help conceive and design solutions for our clients’ project needs. We follow a risk mitigation approach where you and your project team will identify project risks and devise mitigation strategies. For especially challenging risks, you’ll participate in cross disciplinary brainstorms to come up with creative potential solutions.
As you progress through project phases, you’ll move from early systems architecture, power budget development, and PCB prototyping, on to a mature design that’s ready for production manufacturing, assembly, and testing. Throughout the process you will have opportunities to communicate directly with clients and vendors while working collaboratively with our Mechanical, Firmware and Systems engineers.
You will support the engineering, design, and business teams in analyzing the tradeoffs to decide which potential solutions to further investigate and implement. Further investigation could involve modelling, simulation, prototyping, and testing. You’ll have the opportunity to conduct detailed circuit design and analysis, including schematic design and simulation. You’ll oversee PCB layout in cooperation with our in-house PCB design team, and then you’ll work with contract manufacturers to have the PCB fabricated and assembled. Upon receiving an assembled design, you’ll perform initial electronics bring-up, functional verification, and debugging according to the test plans you helped create.
The dynamics of this role present the successful candidate with opportunities to grow their technical and consulting skills, while working with a multidisciplinary team to bring successful products to market.
- Proven experience designing and implementing embedded systems hardware
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and a desire to work in multidisciplinary teams
- Proven experience in schematic design, preferably in OrCAD Capture or Altium
- Significant hands on experience in hardware debug and verification
- Experience managing PCB layout, preferably in Allegro/OrCAD PCB Designer or Altium
- Experience or Interest in technical project planning and task delegation
- Experience driving decision making or leading problem solving efforts
- The ability to keep calm and laugh even when things don’t go as planned
- Four-year degree in Electrical Engineering or related field; MS or PhD a plus
- Experience with or interest in low power battery operated systems
- Experience or interest in high-volume consumer electronics and work with off-shore contract manufacturers
- Experience with or interest in RF/wireless products
- Experience working and presenting in a consulting environment with external clients to find and deliver technical solutions
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.