Location: San Francisco
Senior Project Manager
Synapse Product Development utilizes the talents of engaged and excellence-focused engineers, project managers and business operations professionals to collaborate on creative and cutting-edge product development solutions for the world’s leading companies. Synapsters embrace the opportunity to work on a variety of challenging projects, find fun in solving hard problems with great coworkers, and understand the value of cross-discipline collaboration to provide stellar client service. Synapse supports an environment of openness and trust where employees work hard to get the job done and still have time to maintain active and meaningful lives.
About Synapse’s San Francisco Office
Synapse’s San Francisco site, which will accommodate the office’s planned growth in the years ahead, offers proximity to transit as well as the amenities of the SoMa neighborhood. Here, the growing group of about thirty Synapsters balances focus with fun. Wednesday Lunch provides a catered meal to the entire office, as well as a time for employees to celebrate successes and navigate shared challenges. Thursday Active is the office’s opportunity to lift their noses from the grindstone and take part in a range of activities—from bike trips and runs, to museum visits and sporting events, to barbecues and poker tournaments.
Project Management at Synapse
Synapse’s Project Management team, which includes our Project and Program managers, oversees the design of cool, innovative products by partnering with a multidisciplinary team of software, electrical, mechanical, quality assurance, and new product introduction engineers. Whether scoping a new project or identifying and mitigating risk, Synapse’s PMs bring an attitude of fun, flexibility, and fearlessness to an ever-changing array of exciting technical, logistical, and organizational challenges.
Synapse PMs collaborate directly with clients as well as the engineering team, so they are equally comfortable communicating as they are contemplating. They have the tenacity to see a product through from concept to mass production, and they don’t mind changing hats for the good of the project. Synapse PMs exhibit a high level of judgment as well as problem-solving skills. Synapse PMs are willing to understand the client’s objectives as well as its organizational environment while delighting in exceeding the customer’s expectations. Synapse PMs approach their teams with the eagerness to learn, sense of humor, friendly attitude, and mutual respect that make working at Synapse as enjoyable as it is rewarding.
We are seeking a Senior Project Manager to oversee complex multidisciplinary projects. This position involves managing cross-functional teams developing new products for our clients from concept through production. The Senior Project Manager ensures project success by clearly communicating tasks, schedules, goals and deliverables to the project team, while maintaining a continuous dialogue with the client.
- Lead multidisciplinary project teams in complex product development projects.
- Create and maintain project schedules to monitor project team progress and make adjustments as required.
- Assess and manage project risks.
- Manage and control project scope.
- Maintain rapport with clients through regular communication of project status, risks and issues.
- Monitor project team attitude and motivate team members throughout the project.
- Deliver high quality results on schedule and within budget.
- 8+ years of experience as a Project Manager
- Shipped 5+ commercial products as Lead Project Manager
- Proven ability to successfully manage large scale projects and teams that deliver products on schedule and within budget constraints
- Experience working with multiple disciplines (Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering, and Industrial Design preferred)
- Strong presentation and client interaction skills
- Experience estimating scope and cost for projects
- Intimate understanding of day to day project delivery requirements, issues, needs and risk mitigation
- Strong understanding and use of project management best practices, methodologies, standards, and tools
- Experience with scheduling tools such as Microsoft Project, Smartsheets, or other gantt software
- Bachelor of Science degree (preferably in engineering)
- Ability to travel up to 10% of the time for client meetings, etc.
- Experience working with overseas contract manufacturers
- Experience with Microsoft Project, Smartsheets, or other gantt software products
REQUIRED Application Item: The Product Development Lifecycle
Please submit a brief, one-page description or diagram of the product development process/life cycle. Upload your file (pdf, doc, docx, rtf) in the section labeled "Attachments".
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.