Location: San Francisco
Mechanical Engineer III
Synapse Product Development utilizes the talents of engaged and excellence-focused engineers, project managers, and business operations professionals to collaborate on creative and cutting-edge product development solutions for the world’s leading companies. Synapsters embrace the opportunity to work on a variety of challenging projects, find fun in solving hard problems with great coworkers, and understand the value of cross-discipline collaboration to provide stellar client service. Synapse supports an environment of openness and trust where employees work hard to get the job done and still have time to maintain active and meaningful lives.
Mechanical Engineering at Synapse
Synapse’s Mechanical Engineering team helps design cool, innovative products for the consumer and industrial spaces by partnering with a multidisciplinary team of software, electrical, quality assurance, and new product introduction engineers. Whether designing a wearable device that can withstand harsh environments, devising a lighting solution to support stringent user experience requirements within tightly integrated electronics, or developing a complex thermal and fluids system in an aggressive form factor, Synapse’s MEs bring an attitude of fun, flexibility, and fearlessness to an ever-changing array of exciting design challenges.
Synapse engineers collaborate directly with clients as well as each other, so they are equally comfortable communicating as they are contemplating. They have the tenacity to see a product through from concept to mass production, and they don’t mind changing hats for the good of the project. Synapse engineers are always learning—and teaching: the opportunity to be a listener and a leader exists for engineers at every level. They are willing to understand the client’s objectives as well as its organizational environment while delighting in exceeding the customer’s expectations. And Synapse engineers approach each other with the eagerness to learn, sense of humor, friendly attitude, and mutual respect that make working at Synapse as enjoyable as it is rewarding.
About Synapse’s San Francisco Office
Synapse’s San Francisco site, which will accommodate the office’s planned growth in the years ahead, offers proximity to transit as well as the amenities of the SoMa neighborhood. Here, the growing group of about thirty Synapsters balances focus with fun. Wednesday Lunch provides a catered meal to the entire office, as well as a time for employees to celebrate successes and navigate shared challenges. Thursday Active is the office’s opportunity to lift their noses from the grindstone and take part in a range of activities—from bike trips and runs, to museum visits and sporting events, to barbecues and poker tournaments.
- Lead, contribute individually or collaboratively to conceptualize, architect, and develop new products for clients and partners
- Develop mitigations for key product challenges, identify and manage product definition tradeoffs, and deliver a great customer experience
- lead in the design process from conceptualization to manufacturing
- Integrate the mechanical design with industrial design, user interface, test, RF, and electrical design requirements
- Iteratively analyze, design, prototype, and test the product and its components
- Apply concurrent engineering principles
- Develop engineering analyses, CAD design, and documentation
- Manage prototype fabrication, assembly, and testing
- Support the establishment of product manufacturing
- Create and execute product reliability and validation test plans
- Respond to changes in requirements due to test results or changing client needs
- Work closely with talented engineers, project managers, and the client’s team
- Bachelor or advanced degree in mechanical engineering, or equivalent experience
- Minimum 10 years of product design experience (concept to production), including design for test and manufacturing
- Expert with injection molded component design, PCBA interface and mechanical layout specification, and stamped and formed sheet metal part design
- Experience with motion control, mechatronics, and motor selection
- General design experience with high-tech consumer devices
- Proficiency working on highly concurrent, collaborative, multi-disciplinary programs
- Comfort with ambiguity in early-phase investigative projects
- Strong proficiency with analytical engineering tools, finite element analysis, and mathematical modeling and simulation packages
- Proficiency with 3D CAD tools, particularly SolidWorks and/or CREO (Pro/ENGINEER)
- Proficiency translating industrial design surfaces into manufacturable designs
- Proficiency identifying and prioritizing product requirements in collaboration with key stakeholders, and addressing requirements conflicts and tradeoffs
- Strong desire to improve skills and processes through constant collaboration
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness to work in small and large multidisciplinary teams
A PORTFOLIO IS REQUIRED of all mechanical engineering applicants. Any application without a portfolio will not be considered. Please upload your portfolio in the application section labeled “Other.”
Synapse is an Equal Opportunity Employer (“EOE”). We value diversity and strive to promote an inclusive culture. We are committed to a work environment that respects and supports individuals and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.