Mechanical Engineering Tech Lead
As a Mechanical Engineering Tech Lead, you will collaborate with your client to understand their product vision and requirements, exhibit engineering insightfulness to map out a sound development strategy, while guiding a team of mechanical engineers to deliver the product vision. You will directly take part in the design process from conceptualization to manufacturing. Along the way, you will integrate the mechanical design with industrial design, user interface, test, RF design, electrical design and manufacturing requirements. Your work will include engineering analysis, CAD design and documentation, and application of concurrent engineering fundamentals. You will also manage prototype fabrication, assembly, and testing; create and execute product reliability and validation test plans; and respond to changes in requirements due to test results or changing client needs.
About Synapse’s Seattle Office
Synapse’s headquarters is in the heart of downtown Seattle and maintains many of the hallmarks of the company’s start-up roots. The dog-friendly, open office environment buzzes with activity, and employees are just as likely to find solutions over the ping-pong table as at the whiteboard. With over one hundred employees at this work site, Seattle Synapsters maintain the traditions of Wednesday Lunch, a weekly catered meal when the entire office comes together to celebrate successes and navigate shared obstacles; Social:30, where Synapsters are welcome to unwind every other Friday afternoon; and a variety of social events in which family and friends are invited to join in on the fun.
At Synapse, you will be a part of the creative team who develop and invent interesting and innovative products through:
- Mechanical Engineering: This is what we love to do, and why we chose to develop physical products.
- Customer Interaction: Everyone is customer facing at Synapse.
- Team Focus: Great ideas come from everyone including engineering interns, the IT team, and execs. We share lessons learned for the benefit of the team.
- Product Development Process: We develop solutions to solve our customers’ most formidable product development needs. We break down product requirements, brainstorm solutions, design, prototype, and we test and repeat until products are reliably rolling off the production line.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- *A Portfolio is required before we’ll review your application. Please see details below.
- Minimum 4 years of product design experience (concept to production) including design for test and manufacturing.
- Strong proficiency with diagnostic engineering tools, finite element analysis, and mathematical modeling/simulation packages.
- Proficient with design of injection molded components, PCBA interfaces and mechanical layouts, stamped and formed sheet metal parts and general design experience with high tech consumer devices.
- Proficient working on highly-concurrent, collaborative, multi-disciplinary programs
- Proficient 3D CAD skills in SolidWorks and/or CREO (Pro/ENGINEER)
- Comfort with ambiguity in early-phase investigative projectsProficient in translating industrial surfaces into manufacturable designs.
- Proficient at rapidly deciphering and prioritizing conflicting requirements, constraints and specifications.
- Strong communication skills and a desire to work in small and large multidisciplinary teams while displaying impeccable customer service skills.
- Passionate about building a diverse engineering team.
- A strong desire to improve skills and processes through constant collaboration
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor or advanced degree in mechanical engineering, or equivalent experience.
THIS IS REQUIRED of all mechanical engineering applicants. Your application will not be considered without a portfolio. Please upload your portfolio in the application section labeled ‘Other’.
A portfolio should exemplify your skills, show projects you have worked on and any other type of work you’ve done in the mechanical engineering and product development fields. It should be a presentation using images and text of you and your experiences as it relates to the job qualifications.
Synapse is an Equal Opportunity Employer (“EOE”). We value diversity and strive to promote an inclusive culture. We are committed to a work environment that respects and supports individuals and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.