New Product Introduction (NPI) Engineer
New Product Introduction At Synapse
Synapse is seeking a dynamic product realization team member to join our community! This role offers the right candidate the opportunity to collaborate on efforts in bringing new products to market. Synapse NPI focuses on making sure designs can be realized on quality, cost, and schedule targets. Our work frequently spans from concept development to production, and from one person providing supply chain support to 20-person cross-functional teams developing and bringing to production entire hardware products in high volumes.
Synapse aims to foster a creative work atmosphere with openness and trust, where engineers can work hard, learn and grow professionally, and maintain meaningful lives. Diversity of our ideas and experiences (technical and personal) enriches our teams, enabling us to push innovation further.
About Synapse’s Seattle Office
Synapse’s headquarters (when we’re in them) are in the heart of downtown Seattle, which maintains many of the hallmarks of the company’s start-up roots. The dog-friendly, open office environment buzzes with activity, and employees are just as likely to solve problems over the ping-pong table as at the whiteboard. With over one hundred employees at this work site, Seattle Synapsters maintain the traditions of Wednesday Lunch, a weekly catered meal when the entire office comes together to celebrate successes; Social:30, where Synapsters gather to unwind every other Friday afternoon; and a variety of social events in which family and friends are invited to join in on the fun. We look forward to when we can gather again in person, as our office is a true community.
As a NPI engineer at Synapse, you will bring your passion for great products and technology, and use that passion to shepherd innovative product designs into physical products ready for mass production. You will develop and oversee the realization of product designs into physical products, preparing the design, manufacturers, and our clients for new product introduction.
On your projects, you will help ensure project success by developing schedules and manufacturing strategies, communicating hardware development manufacturing timelines to meet project goals, and hand off ownership back to the customer. The hand off happens at various points in the development depending on the opportunity. When conflicting product, schedule, or manufacturing requirements arise, you will research solutions and guide the team toward selecting the best path forward to meet the clients goals.
- Provide guidance for transitioning product designs into manufacturing, inclusive of design and process reviews between the product development and manufacturing teams
- Serve as the focal point of communication for manufacturing-related topics with our client
- Support manufacturing line design and process optimization efforts
- Act as key escalation point and owner for issues regarding sourcing
- Facilitate technical review and approval of manufacturer-driven change requests
- Coordinate with the development team, client, and partners to develop and deliver the required manufacturing test systems
- Coordinate packaging design and fulfillment in tandem with a strategic manufacturing partner
- Communicate with internal teams and customers the project status, progress, hurdles, and propose solutions
- Document best practices and drive continuous improvements in our methods
Manufacturing operations experience in hardware development, including sourcing of relevant raw and semi-finished materials and components, new product introduction, operations planning, factory management outsourcing, and manufacturing partnerships.
Be a team player with cross-discipline collaboration and project management skills, with experience developing efficient work plans for complex projects involving many groups, the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, and experience operating in a cross-cultural / international supply base.
Ability to work independently and within a multi-client environment; be a self-starter with a strong combination of business and technical knowledge base.
- B.Sc. and/or M. Sc. in Manufacturing, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering
- Minimum 2-5 years of relevant experience in design and manufacturing of electronic products
- At least 2 years of manufacturing engineering or new product introduction experience
- Experience with complex, international, and cross-functional teams
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate and liaison with other disciplines to enact the changes needed to accomplish DFx goals
- Excellent documentation and project management experience such as creating timelines, production test specifications and SOPs.
- Experience in a broad range of DfX categories
- Experience working with off-shore CMs
- Ability to be a strong contributor and supportive member of a diverse team
- Experience with providing Dfx recommendations at architecture to production stages
- Experience working in a consultancy or other customer facing environment
- Experience in bringing products from concept to production
- Experience with consumer electronics
- Experience in SPC, statistical analysis, and yield improvement
- Experience with RF products
- Experience bringing products to production at 500K per year or greater QTY
- Fluent in Mandarin or Spanish
- Six Sigma certification
Employees may need to travel in and out of the country based on client and project needs up to two weeks at a time.
Synapse is an Equal Opportunity Employer (“EOE”). We value diversity and strive to promote an inclusive culture. We are committed to a work environment that respects and supports individuals and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.