Location: San Francisco
Electrical Engineering Intern
Synapse Product Development utilizes the talents of engaged and excellence-focused engineers, project managers, and business operations professionals to collaborate on creative and cutting-edge product development solutions for the world’s leading companies. Synapsters embrace the opportunity to work on a variety of challenging projects, find fun in solving hard problems with great coworkers, and understand the value of cross-discipline collaboration to provide stellar client service. Synapse supports an environment of openness and trust where employees work hard to get the job done and still have time to maintain active and meaningful lives.
About Synapse’s San Francisco Office
In the heart of the SOMA district lies Synapse SF, a tight-knit group of product developers focused on tackling the latest engineering challenges. Synapsters get down to business on our open design floor, build and test cool things in the lab spaces, and discuss ideas over coffee in the kitchen. SF Synapsters build and maintain strong relationships by coming together in the upstairs loft for the weekly, catered, Wednesday Lunch and by organizing regular Thursday Actives like painting, pottery, and hiking to bond with the team.
Internships at Synapse
Synapse’s interns assist engineers in designing cool, innovative products for the consumer and industrial spaces, providing support to a multidisciplinary team of software, electrical, mechanical, quality assurance, and new product introduction engineers. Whether assisting with a schematic design, helping with CAD and mechanical drawings, or contributing to the development of embedded firmware and software code bases, Synapse interns bring an attitude of fun, flexibility, and fearlessness to an ever-changing array of exciting design challenges.
Synapse interns participate in lively collaboration, so they are equally comfortable communicating as they are contemplating. They demonstrate the willingness to jump from task to task or even from project to project, sometimes on a daily basis. Synapse interns are always learning—and can even be the ones to teach from time to time: the opportunity to be a listener and a leader exists for Synapsters at every level. Synapse interns are not only willing to understand Synapse’s organizational environment but also demonstrate a curiosity about the clients’ operations and goals as well. They approach each challenge with the eagerness to learn, sense of humor, friendly attitude, and mutual respect that make working at Synapse as enjoyable as it is rewarding.
We are looking for bright, motivated senior year engineering students and recent grads, up to 1 year post graduation, who want to apply themselves to product design engineering, prototyping, and hands-on testing in the lab. You can expect to be completely immersed in product development including contact with our clients and vendors. We want people who are fast learners, enjoy working on teams, are creative problem solvers, are strong communicators, and know when to ask for help to get jobs done quickly.
The application deadline for this internship is May 1st 2022. Summer/Fall internships start in May or June and are approximately 6 months in duration for our San Francisco location.
We try to involve our EE Interns in all stages of the product development process:
- Participating in cross disciplinary brainstorms to come up with creative solutions to engineering challenges
- Supporting the engineering, design, and business teams in analyzing the tradeoffs to decide which potential solutions to further investigate and implementation
- Designing and building prototypes to help demonstrate how a solution will work
- Helping our electrical engineering team with schematic part creation and schematic design
- Working with our electrical engineers and in house layout team on PCB layout
- Performing initial electronics bring-up, functional verification, and debugging according to the test plans you helped create
Interns will benefit from having the following interests/experience/abilities:
- Embedded system design course work including: sensors, microcontroller based systems, mixed signal systems (Analog, Digital, RF)
- Experience with PCB design (OrCAD, Altium, Eagle, Allegro, etc.)
- Experience prototyping circuits (breadboard assembly, soldering surface mount components, etc.)
- Experience with lab test equipment including oscilloscopes, power supplies, signal generators, etc.
- Strong communication skills and a desire to work in small and large multidisciplinary teams
- Minimum Qualifications:
- Enrollment in Computer/Electrical Engineering program from accredited school (new grads encouraged to apply)
- Authorized to work in the U.S. without sponsorship from the company
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.