Synapse is seeking an outstanding senior mechanical engineering technical lead to join our community!
Our collaborative, cross-discipline team is made up of dynamic engineers, manufacturing experts, and project and business operations leaders. We work with the world’s leading companies to develop cutting-edge products, stretching the boundary of possibility in technology application and manufacturing processes to delight users and deliver business results.
Synapse offers competitive salaries and great benefits, including flexible work schedules; 20 paid personal days a year; paid parental leave; 401(k); outstanding medical, dental, and vision coverage for you and your dependents; and an open, collaborative office environment. Your passion, flexibility, and commitment to lifelong learning will be greeted with a unique company culture that emphasizes community and fun as integral components of delivering world-class products.
Please read on for more information about your next adventure!
Synapse is a multi-disciplinary design and engineering firm, where success is closely related to our ability to innovate in teams. We prioritize listening deeply to our clients’ needs to give them the best solutions on radically shortened time scales. Rapid iteration cycles are enabled by our team’s manufacturing expertise, allowing us to provide creative tested solutions more efficiently.
As a mechanical engineering tech lead, you are both a designer and a leader. As a designer, you do creative ideation, design, CAD, and analysis, to complete work directly for clients. A strong knowledge of manufacturing methods enables rapid product development. Ideally, you’d have a background in working with engineers of other disciplines.
As a leader, you will help a project’s ME team to function as a unit. You assist in turning the clients’ stated goals into design objectives that can guide the team. You also help guide the design direction, using your expertise to assess and mitigate risk, and facilitate the creation of useful prototypes. Balancing a client’s requirements with the resources and time available is one of our most critical skills.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- Minimum 8 years of product design and development experience
- Advanced proficiency with 3D CAD (SolidWorks, Creo or Onshape)
- Proficiency working on collaborative, cross-discipline programs
- A creative problem-solving approach with a strong background in brainstorming and ideation
- A desire to work in small and large cross-discipline teams and proficiency leading small teams of engineers
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency with
- Injection molded components
- PCBA interfaces
- Machined components
- Rapid prototyping techniques
- Proficiency with materials assessment and selection for a wide range of manufacturing processes and applications
- High degree of comfort with ambiguity in early-phase requirements development and feasibility assessment
- Proficiency at rapidly deciphering requirements, and identifying and prioritizing conflicting requirements and constraints
- Intermediate proficiency with deliberate experimental planning for concept assessment, and development of verification test plans and procedures
- Preferred - intermediate proficiency applying principles of machine design & mechatronics and/or robust optomechanical integration in complex products and systems
- A strong desire to share your knowledge, improve skills, and improve processes in collaboration with your fellow Synapsters
- Bachelor or advanced degree in mechanical engineering, or equivalent experience
THIS IS REQUIRED of all mechanical engineering applicants. Your application will not be considered without a portfolio. Please attach your portfolio to the application section labeled ‘Portfolio Link’.
A portfolio should demonstrate your skills and your role in projects you have worked on. It should be a presentation using images and text of you and your experiences as it relates to the job qualifications.